Ikea recalls lamps after electric shock incidents
Originally published at the South China Morning Post on March 17, 2016.
Ikea has issued a recall of all GOTHEM lamp bases after some were found to have damaged cables that could cause electric shocks while it urged customers to immediately stop using them.
With stores in Hong Kong and pick-up areas in Macau, the furniture giant released a statement on Thursday recalling the lamps after two customers and one store worker received electric shocks in Europe. All three models – two table lamp bases and one floor lamp base – should be brought back to an Ikea store for a full refund, the statement said. No receipt was needed for a refund.
Rachel Tam, a marketing executive with Ikea Hong Kong, said two incidents transpired in Germany and one in Sweden. “We have stopped selling the product,” she said, noting no incidents had so far been reported locally.
Damaged cables can cause the metal body of the lamp base to become “electrically live,” creating a potential safety hazard, according to the company’s statement. Ikea had not received any reports of people getting hurt from the products.
The statement said safe products were “always an Ikea priority” and that the Sweden-based company could not accept the risk of any more incidents. The recall of GOTHEM lamp bases, it added, was “to avoid injuries and to create awareness of the hazard”.
About 252 GOTHEM lamp bases had been sold in Hong Kong since September last year, and about 53,000 had been sold in 48 countries since the products launched in all Ikea markets in October last year.